Monday, October 10, 2011

Columbus Day weekend

I don't know when it happened, but it seems that Columbus day has been renamed "Columbus Discovers Day" or "Discovers Day". I think it is to appease more people or something like that. Anyways, I get to have a three day weekend, so I should be glad about that. I think also this was the first holiday in a while that I was not working and I was actually on island. I do have to say it was great to just relax.

I guess I should start with Friday, I went to out with friends to eat at a french restaurant down on the edge of Chinatown. I guess it also spaced us that it was also First Friday down there in Chinatown. In other words, there was a lot of traffic, a lot of people, and a lot of drinking going on at the bars down there in that area of town.


So the restaurant was called Du Vin. Pretty nice restaurant and good atmosphere. I was even surprised with five people, we didn't even have to wait for a table. They had one all set up for us, which again, I was surprised by. I had the roast pork chops, which I do have to say was cooked quite excellent. We also shared for the table, baked brie and escargot. Yes, most of you probably haven't had escargot, but really it is great. I also ate some mussels for the first time, not bad actually. For dessert I had their goat cheese cheesecake. Sorry about the not so great focused picture, it was bad lighting and all. It was delicious though. I would definitely go back to that restaurant again.


We also went to watch Real Steel (movie about a robot) after dinner. I do have to say that the movie wasn't that bad. Somewhat predictable and not great on the plot, but not a horrible movie overall. After the movie, on my way back home, I got the wonderful, fortunate opportunity to go through a DUI check. The police were definitely writing up people that night. Probably due to the first Friday celebration. The cop I talked to apologized for the inconvenience of the traffic and the slow going. I think that made my night right there. 

Saturday, I played Ultimate in the league. It so happened that only our first game counted this weekend since most people were in Denver for regionals. Most of the people were like "oh man, poor people in Denver right now, it's so cold". I was like "I wish I was there right now!". I heard that I missed the first snow and all. Dang it. The second and third games was just pickup games, I played in one, then left early to have dinner with friends. I had two options.....eating with coworkers in the department or eating with friends that I started work with last year. I decided to eat with the latter. It was great, I had so much food though. We ate at Gyu-Kaku, a Japanese BBQ style restaurant and had lots and lots of food. After we went to go see Ides of March. I didn't like the movie very much. It was a slow movie, more of how politics work and the workings behind politics. I did get a very good picture of what George Clooney thinks about politics and his political stances are though. 

Sunday, I went to church and then decided to go hiking with my friend Rick and his friend Ashley on the Windward side of the island. We went hiking on the Olomana trail which starts over by the Royal Hawaiian Golf course. 


The hike wasn't that bad actually. A combination of rainforest, desert, alpine, and just windy at the top. It was great actually. The picture below is a part that reminded me of Colorado. I don't know why there was random pine trees on the trail, but there was. Also in the picture is Rick and Ashley. 


This was a part way up on the trail. You got to look out on the Windward side of the island and just see how green it is. It's pretty much green all the time on that side of the island. Lucky them getting all that rain all the time. Lots of rain, but I haven't seen many mosquitoes, thank goodness. 



So there are actually three peaks to the "mountain" range. The picture below shows the third peak from first peak (not the actual summit though). 



 So I made it to the top of the first peak and took some pictures. You can see the second peak down on the left (that green bump above the guys heads) and then the third peak out in the distance. It was quite windy up there, also quite nice to cool off. It made for a great air conditioner. Although, if you weren't used to the cold, it would make you too cold. I took some panaroma pictures as well. One with Rick in it is of the coast and the second was the side looking more towards the "mountain range" that separates the Windward side with the rest of the island. You can definitely see the green and how nice it is on that side of the island.




I think my only regret on the hike was that I didn't get to talk to Rick about religious things and of Faith and God. There will be more times though for sure. I just need to find the time to do it. I think he is open to it. I just need to keep on praying that he would be open to the Spirit. After we walked, ran, climbed down the peaks, we rewarded ourselves by going to Lanikai Juice, a great little place over in Kailua. We also got there right before it got crowded. I had the bowl with bananas and granola, Ashley had the one with the bananas and pineapple (the one with the spoon), and Rick had the final one. They were also very delicious and I would definitely go there again if I was on that side of the island. 




Lastly on this very long post, Monday. I just went and relaxed on the beach for most of the day with some friends. We also ran into a predator friend that had washed up on the beach (unfortunately he was dead). Other than that, the day was pretty uneventful. I would say that the baby shark was about 3.5-4 feet long. 




No comments:

Post a Comment