Monday, August 8, 2011

Back to a Normal Pattern

Well last week I went back to classes, well what was suppose to be classes. My other classmates were finishing their oral board reviews and some of them did poorly, leading to the test that we had on Wednesday to be pushed off till today. I guess it was good in a way, since I had to catch up on all the stuff that I was suppose to have learned 6 months ago. Yes, it has been 6 months since I was last in class. Where did the year go? Anyways, I didn't have to stay late each day like some of my classmates. Friday was a good time though of fellowship with them. It was their one year anniversary celebration, and pretty much everyone was invited to come to it. It was a good time. We went to Side Street Inn down in town, I do have to say it was quite enjoyable. With about 22 of us, we spent almost $1000 at the restaurant, just shy though. Lots of drinks and great food. One of the awesome things was that Daniel Dae Kim showed up with his family to eat there! For those that don't know who he is, he was in the TV series Lost and most recently Hawaii Five-O. No, I didn't get a picture with him since the restaurant asked us not to bother him. It was still cool seeing the celebrity.

http://www.koreanbeacon.com/tag/daniel-dae-kim/
Let's see there was a large ship that pulled into the harbor during the week and left sometime this weekend, what wasn't really what I would call a "military" ship, but it was rather larger. I found out that it was the Green Bay and I found a picture of it online so you all can see what it looked like. 

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/ShipPhotos/128883-.html
So Saturday, I went to the beach with friends and we barbecued out there, well more like grilling. A bit of some background, this group of friends are notorious for being late. We are rarely on time for anything and have horrible communication skills. With that being said, they ended up being 2 hours late picking me up. Yeah, I was stupid for being ready on time. During the meantime though while I was waiting, I played chess with one of my roommates. I am quite rusty at the game since I made such stupid mistakes and all. Oh well, I still won. :) 

Other news, I have hung out with my roommates a lot more this week and it has been great. I went to dinner with two of them at the Dixie Grill, where I think they have hired almost all the haole (white) females on the island to work there. Well it just seemed like it since there was a lot of them. It was some good southern style food. We also got some Thai food during the week, which was good, but I still like the other Thai restaurant that is in the area.

I guess lastly, is that it has been very trying to talk to some people at church. Politics and views that differ just get in the way. One of the biggest is that the church is starting a new college and career group, since the last attempt pretty much sputtered out and died. They named the group Alpha Pi Omega. I get the whole Alpha and the Omega part, being the beginning and the end, relating to Christ. The Pi part is for, well I can't remember and I should get a write up sometime on why it was picked that. But if you look online for Alpha Pi Omega, you find that it is a Sorority, mainly for Native Americans and all. It is somewhat disturbing that the group is the same as a Sorority and when I brought it up, it was brushed off like "it doesn't matter, we (I) choose it because of ________" Anyways, the group is doing a series by Focus on the Family, Does God Exist? a TrueU series. It is close to the Truth Project, but more aimed towards college age students. I'm not sure if I really want to go, it might be me, and then the "clique" group of the Sunday Night worship team minus one. It starts tomorrow, Aug 9th, so I have a day to think about it. I should give it a try though.

The other things is that one of my friends at church is going hard core in studying the Mormon Bible and the discrepancies that are written in them. I am hesitant for someone doing that with such intensity because the last person that I knew that did that, fell away from the Christianity and converted to Mormonism. There was no dissuading him at all. It is very hard talking to him because he only wants to talk about a few subjects. The newest being the difference in the Book of Mormon compared to the Bible, the end of the world possibly on September 23 with the Feast of Trumpets and the comet in the sky, etc, the way the New World Order is taking over the world, and UFC. Yes, the last one is just a random one but it is one of the things he talks about. It's just discouraging because he only wants to ever talk about these subjects and nothing else. Sure, I can lead the conversation away for a bit, but it always come back to those topics. It is a wonder why he has very little friends at UH Manaoa. One of the last things we were discussing was that "talking" to people consisted him emailing his entire class about a topic of discussion. My point was that "talking" is actual face to face talking, or on the phone with someone. Anyways, I need more patience with him.

And Ashley, if you do read these at all, you owe quite a few burritos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment