Monday, June 13, 2011

Venture on a surface ship

This week....mmm...yes, the USS Carl Vinson came into port for a few days on its way back to San Diego. I made it a point to try to get aboard and get a tour of some sorts. I accomplished my goal pretty well actually. Carriers are much larger than that of  submarine and guess what, it has a whole lot more space as well. I didn't take that many pictures :(, so next one I might be able to get some more pictures. 


CVN 70s F-18 on the flight deck. The USS Carl Vinson was also taking Tigers back to San Diego, so they had to make some more room for all the extra passengers.


I got the electrician that was giving me a tour to take a picture of me on the flight deck with the control tower in the background.


Carriers always need some planes that have expanded radar capability. It was also cool to learn that pretty much all the aircraft can fold their wings. I didn't know that the F-18s could do that, but it is possible to help save room. 


Onto other things, I had some extended family come in this weekend from the Bay Area in California. It was great seeing them and hanging out with them on Sunday. I also got to meet some more extended family that is on the island. Second cousins and more extended.....family trees can get so complicated if you think too much on them. I'm going to see if I can meet them at the USS Arizona memorial when they go before they leave later this week. 

Work related, we finally got cleared to go back into testing Saturday night! So exciting, that means things will start to pick up again. I had the chance to go back to classes, but I would rather stay on the project and learn/see things. It's alright in the end, I'm still "behind" in classes according to our training coordinator (which in my opinion does a horrible job), so one more class isn't going to kill me too much. Besides, I won't be alone in this one, there will be five others that will be behind as well. 

Hawaii also celebrated King Kamehameha day this past Friday and Saturday. The birth of the king that united the islands. There was a big lei ceremony on Friday at the statue downtown. Most of the state employees had the day off as well. So the traffic was actually pretty nice for once. On Saturday, I as going to go watch the parade, but started watching it on TV. Following the parade, there were activities that were down at Kapiolani park, which I was going try to go to before work. Well plans changed because the traffic was just absolutely horrible. Also, the parade lasted for like 3 hours. A ridiculously long, longer than the ever present Golden parades during the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment