Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Break

Well I don't really get spring break, but I do live in a place where people come for spring break, so there is a lot of different celebrations starting this weekend. I would actually have to say the partying started on Thursday, St. Patrick's Day. No, I didn't go out and party and join in the celebrations. Yes, I did know people that went (one being my roommate).


So Saturday, there was the first annual Floatopia Hawaii. The Facebook description is below:
Floatopia is coming to Hawaii! March 19th, the first Saturday of Spring break, there will be the biggest party you have ever seen at Ala Moana Beach. Starting in Santa Barbara, Floatopia has been an annual event for college students for over 5 years. Come join Hawaii's first FLOATOPIA! Bring your floats and your drinks and start you spring break off the right way! The event will be held in the blocked in cove at the end of magic island. There is plenty of parking on the streets in Ala Moana park and in the magic island parking lot. Look for signs directing you to the party. PLEASE remember to be safe and DO NOT drink and drive! SoHo will be holding the official after party for Floatopia! After your day of fun in the sun make sure to head down to China Town for a great party at club SoHo. They are planning on a night that continues the theme of floatopia. Come party at SoHo with 104.3 providing the music!
Basically, it is a huge drunken fest on the beach where spring-breakers can meet other people on spring break and just get drunk and have fun in the water.  I went and saw the festivities, but didn't actually take part in any of the festivities. I ran into a few coworkers though that seem to be having a good time. Their stories of the day were quite hilarious. The first few pictures when it first started.




I went to the other part of the beach at Ala Moana after running. It was much more peaceful over there and I ended up reading bit. I didn't fall asleep this time on the beach but came rather close. I also didn't get sunburned this weekend like I did last weekend which was really nice. I did have to put on some sunscreen after a bit, but this time, I had sunscreen to put on (last weekend, I didn't bring any with me which was quite stupid). The pictures below were after about three hours. The amount of people had increased dramatically.




The cops decided to show up about four afters the event started. I think the lifeguards finally got sick of all the drunk people and called the police. I do feel sorry for the lifeguards that were on duty in the cove that day. They probably wanted to kill themselves. On the other hand, they got a very interesting day and certainly not boring. I saw them pull people back into the cove at least twice (drunk spring break college students were floating out to sea through the opening in the breaker wall). The cops look like they don't know what to do when they first arrived. I don't know if they checked every one's ID or if they just broke up the party. I left before they broke up the party to go see Battle: Los Angeles. 


Battle: Los Angeles, was an alright movie. I wouldn't say it was the best movie I have seen recently. If you like military and a pretty constant line of fighting then the movie is pretty good. There was a nice message of trust and teamwork though that ran through the movie and was realized at the end. 

I also took my computer in to get fixed on Saturday. They told me it would be about five days till I would get it back. I was all sent to live without it for the five days, but yesterday they called me and told me it was ready. Shocked me indeed. I figured the Apple Care plan actually paid off this time. Considering I would have had to pay about $571 for the work that was done on my computer. They had to replace the glass track pad, a logic board (one of the USB ports wasn't working anymore), and the labor. It would have been a pricey fix, but since it was free and all covered by the extended warranty, I decided to get it fixed. A good investment in the end. 

Lastly, a Japanese submarine pulled into Pearl Harbor this weekend and had assess for the first time to the world news. This also brought about that they just found out about the tragedy that happened in Japan. The full story can be read HERE. The Japanese submarines also look weird from the US, but I guess I only notice since I'm around the US submarines all the time. 


I think that is enough for now. Spring break festivities continue this week and probably next week as well as different spring breaks overlap this month. I should also talk about the home fellowship I'm going to on Friday Nights again. Probably next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment