Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hiking

So I went hiking this weekend at Pupukea public hunting area (on my three day weekend), yes it's weird having those since I never got those at Mines, up on the North Shore of Oahu. First off the drive is pretty nice, although the ocean was muddy up to about 100 yrd from the shore. We have had a lot of rain the last few weeks and the run off from the "mountains" have caused the brown water. Oh you have to love that red dirt...Anyways the hike started at the end a road that was about a 2 miles off of the main highway up into the "mountains". The trailhead started just past the Boy Scout campground. 


The hike is actually also in a public hunting area which is open on the weekends and on holidays according to the sign. I actually didn't see any hunters while I was hiking, which was fine with me. Not seeing hunters also mean I didn't run into any wild pigs either. The hike wasn't that bad, it was slightly muddy from all the rain that we have been seeing in the last few weeks, but other than that, it was a nice day, slightly hazy though. The actual trail is the Kaunala Trail. It's nice that the state of Hawaii seems to put up hiking trail signs (for the most part at least). At least funding in that aspect is kept up. 


Since there has been lots of rain, the area is a lot greener that normal. There were some nice views on this hike and overall a really easy hike. There were berries and other wild fruits along the path. Before you ask, I didn't eat any since I didn't know exactly what they were, or if they were ripe. 



Along the trail there were also some stream crossings which, despite the rainfall they weren't very deep, but very clear, and refreshing. At the top of the loop, there was nice lookout in which you can see the valleys on either side and also the ocean. The ocean is hard to pick out since it was in the direction of the sun and also since it was slightly hazy. I also came across an interesting growth on a plant. I could relate it to some math terms but I prefer not to. So that is a short recap on what I did on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I will post sometime later this week on what I did the rest of the weekend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment