Monday, September 12, 2011

51 weeks

Can you believe it? I have already been living in Hawaii for 51 weeks. Wow, time does fly by. The perpetual summer though is somewhat of a down side for me, since I like having variable weather. My roommates are still amazing and we have a lot of fun together and we get a long really well. My neighbor is still amazing, although she hasn't brought over any goodies in a while. That will probably change soon. I feel like something is going to be brought over in the next few weeks.

So this last week, I finished shift work (again) last thursday (yay!) and even better, my boss gave me friday off. I was suppose to work on Sunday, but they called me off, so guess what, Three day weekend for me! Yes, that was amazing and I got to enjoy the outdoors. So it was a very relaxing weekend. I do have to admit that I haven't had a weekend in such a long time, it was difficult to come up with things to do. Now that I will should be getting weekends off on a regular basis, it will be much easier to plan things for the weekend. Saturday was pretty packed though, I ran errands in the morning, went to the beach midday to early afternoon, and then went down to Waikiki to watch part of the Red Carpet and World Premier event of Hawaii Five-0. Did you know that Hawaii Five-0 is playing in about 200 countries? I sure didn't until this weekend. I decided not to stay for the premier even though I had great seats (I know.....) The reason being was that I didn't see the end of last season, well pretty much an episode past the sixth one so I would have been totally lost. I instead went to have dinner with some friends at 9pm and then to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Well if evolution was looking for their missing links they could find it in Hollywood. :) The screen from the opposite side of Waikiki beach. It was such a beautiful day with great waves on the south shore.


I had to get a sweet panoramic shot of the people gathering with the stage in front. The red carpet was off to the right. 


As the sun started to go down, the beach became more and more crowded. I didn't realize that a lot of people flew into Honolulu for the World Premier.


While I was waiting for the stars to make it to the red carpet, I caught a sweet picture of the sunset. 


The Stars started to arrive. It was hard to see them since there was so many people standing in the way and them crowding all over. My personal opinion of the entire event was that they did a piss poor job organizing it. They had cameras correct, they had a screen correct, and they had a projector correct, but did they project the stars on the red carpet on the screen so more people could see them, NO. It was a disaster. 



The screen wasn't broken, they started projecting the "SUNSET on the BEACH" title on the the screen while the stars were still arriving. 



Before the stars took the stage, Governor Abercrombie and the Mayor gave some speeches and then a couple proclamations. If I remember right, they both proclaimed that September 19 and 20 were Hawaii Five-0 days. The proclamation for the city was somewhat disappointing since there was only one "Whereas" in the proclamation. Whoever wrote it was very subpar on the usage of the word "Whereas" and "Therefore".


Finally, on my walk to the screen, I ran across some strikers with the Hyatt Union. They are not happy with their pay and what not and were marching in front of the Hyatt Regency on Waikiki beach. Hopefully things work out between the Union and Hyatt before the huge Asian Economic Summit happens in a few months (which President Obama is rumored to be attending). 


No comments:

Post a Comment